Thank you for your interest in helping us in our aim of seeing hope embraced in all of life by those who live on the edge. Below are 5 different ways that you can get involved and make a difference. We’d love to have you partner with us…
1. Partner Financially
We are looking for those who are willing to help support the work of Embracing Hope Ethiopia through a monthly donation to our ministry. This helps us to most effectively minister to those whom God has brought to us.
The easiest way to give is through our Online Giving page via ACH / Checking / Savings Direct Withdrawal or through your Visa or Mastercard. This is a secure website. Click here to access our Online Giving page. (**By the way, if you give via Direct Withdrawal, a mere 25 cents is collected for administration fees, thus freeing up more of your donation to go directly to work.)
If you would like to set up a donation from your Checking Account or Credit Card, but feel apprehensive about setting it up online, please click here to download a Giving Form which you can print, complete and mail to us.
If you prefer to give by check, you can do so by making the check payable to Embracing Hope Ethiopia and mailing it to Embracing Hope Ethiopia, PO Box 14, Willow Street, PA 17584. Please mark in the Memo line any specifics of where the money should be directed.
If you have questions about our financial accountability, please view the bottom of this page which has more information about how we handle finances.
2. Sponsor a Family
One of our primary financial needs is for Family Sponsorships. We currently serve 32 children and their moms and have plans to greatly expand our scope in the coming months. By sponsoring a family you can make a difference in the life of a family who lives on the edge and help them to embrace hope in all of life. You can get more information about Family Sponsorships by clicking here
3. Pray For Us…and with us.
Those who partner with us in prayer truly fuel our mission here. We have dozens of people who prayer for us on a regular basis and we know that without them we would not be able to do what we do. We are constantly reminded that not only do we find ourselves in a physical battle against the forces that cause poverty, but we also are in a spiritual battle. The power of lies and spiritual forces cannot go unnoticed here. We are reminded of Paul’s message that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against the powers, authorities and principalities. Your prayers are effective in combatting those forces of evil that keep people oppressed, and help to see them freed.
We would love to have you join our Prayer List. We send out a monthly update of prayer requests. Please add your email address below and we’ll see that you get our prayer updates.
Get our monthly prayer updates
We’d also love to hear any impressions you get as you pray.
Here are 6 ways to pray on an ongoing basis:
- For Hope. Pray for the people of Kore’ that they would see the True Hope and transformation of Jesus – The One who rules and breaks through all of the lies, curses and pasts.
- For Moms. Pray for the Moms in the project that they would embrace transformation. They are courageous women who are choosing to go a difficult road of seeing change come. Pray for perseverance, hope and an embracing of Jesus in the midst of it all.
- For Children. Pray for the children in the project as they are becoming healthy, fighting off infection and growing on all levels. Pray that they would also embrace Jesus – at a young age.
- For the Community. Every day we have 8 – 10 moms who come seeking our assistance. We can’t help everyone for various reasons. Pray that we can be a light to them…and serve them in whatever way possible in Jesus’ name. Pray for provision for their needs, health, life and hope.
- For Our Staff. Daily our staff faces challenges from various fronts…not to mention that we find ourselves in the middle of an intense struggle where The Kingdom of God is breaking into the midst of the kingdom of darkness. Pray for ongoing unity, love and perseverance among our whole staff.
- For power encounters. Pray that we would have opportunity to demonstrate God’s Kingdom through bringing Good News to the poor, healing, freedom, release of oppression, recovery of sight for the many who are blind, restoration for the lepers, forgiveness to the criminal, reconciliation for the broken, the breaking of curses, and declaration of God’s favor. May The Lord make His Presence and His Power known.
Thank you for joining us in prayer!
4. Give your Time or Talents.
Are you an Outside the Box Thinker? We need people like you who! Here are some other ways to get involved by giving of our your self. If you are interested in participating in any of these ways, please drop us an email at info(at)EmbracingHopeEthiopia.com and we’ll get you what you need to assist you.
1. Organize Fund Raisers. Help us to raise funds for special projects by having events in your community. Be creative and have fun while also helping to raise awareness for the vulnerable and voiceless in the world. A little bit goes a long ways.
2. Become an Advocate. Help spread the news about what we’re doing while also helping others to share in the responsibility and the blessing of ministry to the poor and vulnerable. You get to be in the role of bridge builder between those who are materially poor with those who are impoverished in other ways in the West. We’ve got some resources that can help you to help others grow in their understanding of God’s Heart and His call to us to care for the poor.
**One idea here is to get your small group, sunday school or club involved in family sponsorship. $136/month may sound like a lot to you, but imagine if 5 couples pitched in $27 per month. Sounds a bit more doable, doesn’t it? And, we’d love having your small group remembering us in prayer along the way – it means a lot to what we are trying to do.
3. Visit Us. Coming to Addis? We’d love to have you visit and see what’s going on here first hand. Check out our Visit Us page for more information on making it happen - http://www.embracinghopeethiopia.com/visit-us/
If you are bringing a team…we ask that you download and agree to our Team Guidelines, which you can find by Clicking Here.
4. Buy a Book and help us furnish our Children’s Library. We can always use childrens’ books for our Reading Room / Library. You get to play a part in children and mothers getting to learn to read and growing in the joy of reading. If you buy from Better World Books, they’ll even ship it directly to us for Free. Their website is www.BetterWorldBooks.com . When it comes time to enter a shipping address, enter Jerry Shannon, PO Box 145217, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia . In about a month we’ll receive it and share it in our library!
5. Help us Fill Our Wish List. We have a number of wishes that don’t need so much a monthly support amount, but rather one time gifts. It can be fun to have a “Shower” or “Party” and help buy some of those things on that list, or help us source out donations in the community. Check out our Wish List by clicking here. These items can be shipped to Christy’s Parents address by sending to Christy Shannon – EHE, 3284 Sylvan Heights Drive, Hollidaysburg, PA 16648. Then, in the future we’ll have someone deliver the items to Ethiopia. These items do not need to be purchased through Amazon, and for most items Gently Used is just as good as new.
6. Volunteer in the US. We have needs along the way for Financial people, administrative people, fundraisers, whip crackers and legal folks. If you could help in one of these ways, please let us know. You save us money when we don’t have to hire a professional for these services.
7. Volunteer on the Ground in Ethiopia. A life changing event for many people is a direct visit on the ground in a 3rd world country. When in these settings it is amazing how quickly statistics suddenly have faces and names that impact us deeply in our hearts and in our walk with Jesus. We especially can use Trainers, Educators, Early Childhood Specialists, Nurses, Doctors, First Aid People and Community Development Personnel. If you’d like to spend some time on the ground with us, please drop us an email and lets talk. You can check out our Volunteer Application by CLICKING HERE.
5. Spread The Word!
People like you are the way that we get known and are able to assist other families in need. Please help us to get the word out there by telling others about us. Here are some ways to spread the word…
1. Tell your Church or Business about us. We love talking with others about what we are doing and about these beautiful families that we are privileged to work with. If you can get us an appt with your Pastor or other local leader we’d be happy to talk with them. We also find that some businesses love to get involved through donations of goods, awareness raising and matching funds. Pass on the word.
2. Share Our Postcards. We can send you cards for Info Tables, Businesses, Events, etc. which share what we are doing. Drop us an email and we’ll get them sent out to you.
3. Share us on Facebook. We have a Facebook Page named Embracing Hope Ethiopia. Please share us with your friends. We’re also on Twitter at jerryshannon and on The Causes application of Facebook as Embracing Hope, Ethiopia – The Shannon Family.
4. Share our website. Direct people to www.EmbracingHopeEthiopia. We update the website on a regular basis with blog entries. Please feel free to share our content with others whom you think might be interested.
5. Link to us. If you like what we’re doing, would you link to us? Just select and copy the code below and paste it into the HTML on your website where you’d like the link to appear! Thank you for linking to us.
<a href="http://www.embracinghopeethiopia.com"><img style="border: 0px initial initial;"/><img src="http://www.embracinghopeethiopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ehe_badge.gif" border="0" alt="Embracing_Hope_Ethiopia" width="180" height="250" /></a>
Will appear like this:
A note about our Finances and Accountability.
We want to be up front about where our money goes. When you make a donation by credit card, approximately 98% of that amount reaches on the ground here. (The credit card administrator charges us approximately 2%). Our accounts are administrated in the US by friends working part time – thus keeping our administrative costs low.
The money that reaches the ground is used to support our missionaries with modest living expenses as well as to provide for the projects we are doing. We also want you to know that we see you as a partner in what we are doing – without you we couldn’t be doing what we are doing. So, we promise to try our best to stay in touch along the way through a bi-monthly newsletter as well as other notes along the way.
We strive to act in all of our financial matters governed by the principles of simplicity, transparency, stewardship and integrity. We know that every one of our supporters have entrusted us with an investment for The Kingdom of God, and therefore we want to operate in a way that we honor that intention.
We are registered with the Internal Revenue Service as a 501c3 organization. We also are incorporated in the State of Pennsylvania and are registered with the Pennsylvania Bureau of Charities.
To read our 2011 – 2012 Fiscal Year Annual Report – click here.
To view our 2011 – 2012 Fiscal Year Financial Review – click here.
If you have any questions, please contact us at info(at)EmbracingHopeEthiopia.com .